Office hours: Monday - Friday, 9.00 - 17.00 EDT (UTC-04)
Surveillance of Travel-related Morbidity in Europe
Annual Data Analysis
EuroTravNet Core Sites participate in systematic surveillance by reporting all cases of travel-related illness they see to the GeoSentinel Surveillance Network using an web-based data collection and information reporting platform. GeoSentinel has baseline data from European Sites on 535 diagnoses collected since 1997.
Through a collaborative agreement with GeoSentinel, EuroTravNet receives one time each year a download of all ill traveler records entered into GeoSentinel by the European Surveillance Sites. About 7,000 ill returned travellers are reported from these EuroTravNet Core Sites each year. Analysis of the yearly data for publication are made by the EuroTravNet Core Sites, with a different Site leading the analysis on a rotational basis.
Published Yearly Data Analyses
2012 Analysis in progress.
2011 Warne B, Weld LH, Cramer JP, Field VK, Grobusch MP, Caumes E, Jensenius M, Gautret P, Schlagenhauf P, Castelli F, Lalloo D, Ursing J, Chappuis F, von Sonnenburg F, López-Vélez R, Rapp C, Smith KC, Parola P, Gkrania-Klotsas E, for the EuroTravNet Network. Travel-related infection in European travellers: the case for more targeted prevention. EuroTravNet 2011. Submitted for publication.
2010 Gautret P, Cramer JP, Field V, Caumes E, Jensenius M, Gkrania-Klotsas E, de Vries PJ, Grobusch MP, López-Vélez R, Castelli F, Schlagenhauf P, Hervius Askling H, von Sonnenburg F, Lalloo DG, Loutan L, Rapp C, Basto F, Santos O'Connor F, Weld L, Parola P, for the EuroTravNet Network. Infectious diseases among travellers and migrants in Europe, EuroTravNet 2010. Euro Surveill. 2012 Jun 28;17(26). pii: 20205.
2009 Odolini S, Parola P, Gkrania-Klotsas E, Caumes E, Schlagenhauf P, López-Vélez R, Burchard GD, Santos-O'Connor F, Weld L, von Sonnenburg F, Field V, de Vries P, Jensenius M, Loutan L, Castelli F. Travel-related imported infections in Europe, EuroTravNet 2009. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2012 May;18(5)468-74. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-0691.2011.03596.x. Epub 2011 Aug 16. (87 kB PDF)
2008 Field V, Gautret P, Schlagenhauf P, Burchard GD, Caumes E, Jensenius M, Castelli F, Gkrania-Klotsas E, Weld L, López-Vélez R, de Vries P, von Sonnenburg F, Loutan L, Parola P, for the EuroTravNet network. Travel and migration associated infectious diseases morbidity in Europe, 2008. BMC Infect Dis. 2010 Nov 17;10(1):330. (1.5 MB PDF)
1997-2007 Gautret P, Schlagenhauf P, Gaudart J, Castelli F, Brouqui P, von Sonnenburg F, Loutan L, Parola P, for the GeoSentinel Surveillance Network. Multicenter EuroTravNet/GeoSentinel study of travel-related infectious diseases in Europe. Emerg Infect Dis. 2009 Nov;15(11):1783-90.
Numerous outbreaks and case reports serve as reminders that infections can be imported and/or transmitted in Europe by visiting or returning travellers. This was illustrated by severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) in 2003, chikungunya virus (CHIKV) in Italy 2007, the rapid spread of influenza A (H1N1) in 2009, and most recently by the imported cases caused by a novel coronavirus (MERS-CoV) in 2013.
During designated outbreak events or upon requests by collaborators for enhanced surveillance for specified diagnoses, the EuroTravNet Director has European Site level access to the GeoSentinel database to search for relevant records contributed from the European Sites. Patient records are live in the GeoSentinel system immediately upon entry at any of the EuroTravNet Core Sites, so if our Sites are asked for enhanced surveillance and enter their patients in a rapid and timely manner, the collective experience will be available 24/7 in near real time. In the case of emerging or novel pathogens, it should be noted that the GeoSentinel platform allows for the addition of newly identified diagnoses with on-screen viewable case definitions in less than 10 minutes. Once a diagnosis is added, it is immediately live in the system worldwide. The current web-based interface is able to instantaneously generate on-screen reports using a variety of filters (diagnosis, country of exposure, country of travel) and grouped regionally by reporting Site.
Published Sentinel Events
- Schwartz E, Meltzer E, Mendelson M, Tooke A, Steiner F, Gautret P, Friedrich-Jaenicke B, Libman M, Bin H, Wilder-Smith A, Gubler D, Freedman D, Parola P. Detection on four continents of dengue fever cases related to an ongoing outbreak in Luanda, Angola, March to May 2013. Euro Surveill. 2013 May 23;18(21). pii: 20488.
- Esposito DH, Freedman DO, Neumayr A, Parola P. Ongoing outbreak of an acute muscular Sarcocystis-like illness among travellers returning from Tioman Island, Malaysia, 2011-2012. Euro Surveill. 2012 Nov 8;17(45). pii: 20310.
- Aubry C, Gautret P, Nougairede A, Dussouil A, Botelho-Nevers E, Zandotti C, De Lamballerie X, Brouqui P, Parola P. 2012 outbreak of acute haemorrhagic conjunctivitis in Indian Ocean Islands: identification of Coxsackievirus A24 in a returned traveller. Euro Surveill. 2012 May 31;17(22). pii: 20185.
- CDC. Reported by: von Sonnenburg F, Cramer JP, Freedman DO, et al. Notes from the field: Acute muscular sarcocystosis among returning travelers - Tioman Island, Malaysia, 2011. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2012 Jan 20;61(2):37-8.
- Florescu SA, Popescu CP, Calistru P, Ceausu E, Nica M, Toderan A, Zaharia M, Parola P. Plasmodium vivax malaria in a Romanian traveller returning from Greece, August 2011. Euro Surveill. 2011 Sep 1;16(35). pii: 19954.
- Cohen-Bacrie S, Ben Kahla I, Botelho-Nevers E, Million M, Parola P, Brouqui P, Drancourt M. Imported extensively drug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis Beijing genotype, Marseilles, France, 2011. Euro Surveill. 2011 Apr 21;16(16). pii: 19846.
- Gétaz L, Abbas M, Loutan L, Schrenzel J, Iten A, Simon F, Decosterd A, Studer R, Sudre P, Michel Y, Merlani P, Emonet S. Fatal acute melioidosis in a tourist returning from Martinique Island, November 2010. Euro Surveill. 2011 Jan 6;16(1). pii: 19758.
- Gautret P, Botelho-Nevers E, Charrel RN, Parola P. Dengue virus infections in travellers returning from Benin to France, July-August 2010. Euro Surveill. 2010 Sep 9;15(36):pii=19657.
- Botelho-Nevers E, Gautret P, Benarous L, Charrel R, Felkai P, Parola P. Travel-related influenza A/H1N1 infection at a Rock Festival in Hungary: one virus may hide another one. J Travel Med. 2010 May;17(3):197-8.
- Gautret P, Simon F, Hervius Askling A, Bouhaud O, Leparc-Goffart I, Ninove L, Parola P. Dengue type 3 virus infections in European travellers returning from the Comoros and Zanzibar, February-April 2010. Euro Surveill. 2010 Apr 15;15(15):pii=19541.
- Gautret P, Parola P, Brouqui. Risk factors for H1N1 influenza complications in 2009 Hajj pilgrims. Lancet. 2010 Jan 16;375(9710):199-200.
SECRETARIAT AND INFORMATION MANAGEMENT
Pr. Philippe GAUTRET, Marseille
Pr. Francesco CASTELLI,
Dr Vanessa FIELD,
Pr. Martin GROBUSCH,
Pr. Frank MOCKENHAUPT,
Pr. Patricia SCHLAGENHAUF,
Pr. Eskild PETERSEN,
Pr. Philippe PAROLA,