Office hours: Monday - Friday, 9.00 - 17.00 EDT (UTC-04)
Expedition and Wilderness Medicine
Nominations for Council Positions Now Open
Are you interested in serving as an Officer on the Council of the ISTM Expedition and Wilderness Medicine Interest Group? If so, you have until Monday, 25 November 2019 to complete a nomination form to be considered for inclusion on the ballot. You may download the form here.
Basic Operational Structure
The ISTM Expedition and Wilderness Medicine Interest Group will be governed by a Council elected by its membership. The Council will consist of seven voting members, one of which will be Chair, one Chair-Elect, one Past-Chair and four Council Members. It is anticipated that subcommittees will be formed from within the group members, and the elected council may appoint cooperating members. The Group Chair will report to the ISTM Executive Board.
- Seven members.
- The council members must represent different world regions.
- Ideally at least three continents should be represented.
- Council members may be multi-disciplinary.
- Council members must be ISTM Members in good standing.
- Council members seek participation out of genuine interest in the Group and its initiatives.
- Potential council members are required to present their CV and a written vision statement. This application need not be proposed and seconded and can be self-declared on advertisement of the open position.
- Council Members and Officers serve terms of two years, with a limit of two terms in succession.
- Once established steps will be taken so that approximately one third of group members are elected every two years to allow for continuity.
- In the event there is an insufficient number of qualified candidates to join Council, Council members scheduled to cycle off may be allowed to serve one additional two-year term unless otherwise stipulated by the Council.
Steering Council Officers
- Three officers: Chair, Chair Elect and Past Chair, each serving for a two-year term.
- Chair Elect becomes Chair at end of term, Chair becomes Past Chair at end of term.
A link to a secure and anonymous electronic ballot will be e-mailed to all Interest Group members, and balloting will be open for a 30-day period of time.
Consider running and become a leader of this important Interest Group!
Send your form in by Monday, 25 November 2019.
Founding Organizers for this Group
- Buddha Basnyat, Nepal
- Blaise Genton, Switzerland
- Travis Heggie, United States of America
- Kevin Kain, Canada
- Peter Leggat, Australia
- Marc Shaw, New Zealand
- Chris Van Tilburg, States of America
- Jenny Visser, New Zealand
We are delighted to welcome you to the home page of the newly formed ISTM Expedition and Wilderness Medicine Group.
The world is becoming more globally mobile with increasing numbers of travellers participating in expedition, wilderness and extreme activities and events nationally and internationally.
Top of page
- Provide a professional forum for ISTM Members interested in expedition and wilderness medicine
- Develop programs and sessions to educate travel medicine practitioners on specific issues regarding expedition and wilderness medicine
- Foster the development of recommendations on expedition and wilderness medicine within travel medicine
- Develop and maintain an international body of knowledge in expedition and wilderness medicine
- Promote the importance of travel-related issues for those working in expedition and wilderness medicine
- Advance the science of expedition and wilderness medicine
- Review and maintain the legal parameters within which expedition and wilderness medicine is practiced
If you are interested in joining this group and helping develop the outlined objectives, please login and join.